Welcome to the 1st year of the PoC (Person of Color) Reading Challenge. This reading challenge was originally created and run by PoCReading but stopped in 2012. It then became the Diversity on the Shelf reading challenge hosted by My Little Pocketbooks and then The Englishist. With the label of “Diversity” changing by including other forms of diversity, the original purpose of the race-based reading challenge changed. So now we are going back to the drawing board. The aim of PoC 2017 Reading Challenge is to add diversity of race to your bookshelf by reading books by authors of color and/or about a main character of color.
1. Any book (by any author) with a main character that is a person of color qualifies for this reading challenge, as well as any book written by an author of color. The goal is to encourage readers to have a more diverse reading experience and to support diversity in the publishing industry by reading and reviewing books by or about persons of color.
2. The challenge will run from January 1, 2017 – December 31, 2017 (books read prior to 1/1/2017 do not count towards the challenge). You can join anytime before 12/1/2017. Sign up here at Sistahs&Satire
3. Books can be any format (print, ebook, audio).
4. Novellas, Short story collections, Poetry, Graphic novels/manga, Children Books, and all genres are allowed.
5. Books can be of any publication date. ARC are allowed as well.
6. You can choose your books as you go or create a list in advance. Re-reads and crossovers from other reading challenges are allowed.
Join the Challenge
To join the challenge, grab the PoC 2017 Challenge button and post this reading challenge on your blog to track your progress. Please include a link back to this sign-up post so others can join the reading challenge too.
You do not have to be a book blogger to participate. You can track your progress on Goodreads, LibraryThing, BookLikes, Libib, etc., just as long as you have a dedicated shelf for the PoC 2017 Challenge and your profile is not private. The point of linking up is to have a place where people can see what you’re reading.
Grab the Button
<div align="center"><a href="https://sistahsnsatire.com/2016/12/30/2017-poc-reading-challenge/" rel="nofollow" title="Sistahs & Satire"><img src="https://sistahsnsatire.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/269/2016/12/2017-PoC-Reading-Challenge-e1482985414574.jpg" alt="Sistahs & Satire" style="border: none; height: auto; width: 200px;" /></a></div>
Pick a Level
Choose how many PoC books you would like to add to your “read” shelf in 2017:
1st Stack: Read 1-6 books
2nd Stack: Read 7 -12 books
3rd Stack: Read 13 – 18 books
4th Stack: Read 19 -24 books
5th Stack: Read 25+ books
Once you pick a level you can go higher and read more books but you cannot go down a level.
If you’d like to participate in the PoC 2017 Reading Challenge, please sign up, and if you have a blog please spread the word by grabbing the button and post about your participation.
If you need some ideas for what to read go to the original POC Reading Challenge blog.
There will be giveaways along the way, theme reads and a giveaway at the end for the participants who participate each month and completes the challenge.
(If you have any questions feel free to ask in case I missed something.)